"All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

Psalm 139:16


Sunday, April 26, 2009

Good Food, Good Friends, Good Times

It's interesting how good gatherings often center around food. We love to eat when we enjoy fellowship with friends and family. Last night was no exception. We enjoyed a very nice evening with some friends (the Walhofs and Lemstras) as we all got to meet Joel Renkema (our new pastor), and his wife, Alison, and daughter, Indira. We're all very excited to welcome the Renkemas and we pray the transition to a new community goes well for them!

As I was thinking about the connection between food and fellowship, I thought back to some of the times I've made the following recipe. What good memories I have of gatherings where I've made this salmon... last night as we met the Renkemas, a surprise birthday party for our dear friend, Sarah Zylstra, dinner with my family in February. I hope some of you enjoy this new recipe, but even more importantly, enjoy your own good times as you gather around the table.

Indian Glazed Salmon
2-4 lb. salmon fillet
2 sweet onions, (red or white) slivered
2 T. butter, melted
3 T. firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cayenne (or 1/4 tsp, depending on how much heat you like!)
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro

Rinse salmon and pat dry. Line a 12x18 inch baking pan with foil and set salmon, skin side down in pan. Scatter onions on and around salmon. In a small bowl, mix butter, brown sugar, spices, and lemon juice. Brush mixture on salmon. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil. Broil salmon until top is bubbling and well-browned and fish is done but still moist looking in center of thickest part. Transfer to serving platter. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.

(I'll keep this recipe in the side margin until the next time I feel inspired by good food!)

No comments:

Post a Comment