This week we had some friends over for dinner, and I tried a new recipe that is definitely worthy of a new blog post. If you're looking for something to serve to guests or to bring new life to your weekly menu, give this one a try -- it's great!Mojito Scallops with Mango Salsa
*1/4 c. rum
*splash of peppermint schnapps (the recipe didn't call for this, but I have a bottle in our pantry that Scott is convinced I'll never use, so I added a little and it seemed to work well!)
*2 Tbsp. sugar
*1/4 c. chopped fresh mint leaves (I have a mint plant that is going gang-busters in the front yard, so this recipe was a good way to use a bunch of mint... if anyone wants mint, stop by!)
*1/4 c. fresh lime juice
*12 large sea scallops (I had 25-30; once again, Costco to the rescue)
*Mix all marinade ingredients; add scallops; marinate 20 minutes (I let them soak for an hour or two). When you're ready to eat, grill scallops over med./high heat until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side.
Mango Salsa
* 1 c. diced fresh mango
* 1/2 c. diced cucumber
* 1/4 c. diced red onion
* 1 Tbsp. minced jalapeno pepper
* 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint leaves
* 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
* 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
* 3 Tbsp. light rum
* 1 tsp. minced lime zest
* Combine all ingredients and serve with scallops.
Yummm....looks pretty and tasty! I made "thanksgiving" last night! I had a turkey breast in the freezer and some stuffing from last Thanksgiving, so we had potatoes with gravy, green beans, turkey, and stuffing. It was so good and everyone gobbled ;) it up. Where do you get your scallops? Costco?
ReplyDeleteYou asked if I have mixed feelings about sending Lily to school....not this year, I don't. Last year was much harder b/c I had been home with her and Grace for a year since I quit at CVC. And, it was her first time going to school. I was anxious almost to the point of hyperventilating, especially the night before the first day! It was so strange thinking about someone else having such a huge influence over her. (Check out my blog posts from August, 2008) We had such a great year at CVC preschool, though, so all my fears were unfounded. Lily is very social, so she loved going to school. She's so ready for Kindergarten, and I'll be at CVC in the elementary office 2 days a week. I am really looking forward to this chapter in our life.
Oooops....only looked at the picture and didn't read the recipe. Yes, you did get your scallops at Costco! :) I will be stopping by for some mint. I need it for a dinner I am cooking next weekend. I'll give you a call....
ReplyDeleteSounds great; come on over anytime!
ReplyDeleteLooks great Jen! You could probably try this with shrimp or any kind of white fish too - I can't wait to try it. I checked out your blog today for the first time in a while and loved reading all the posts. It looks like you are having a FUN summer!
ReplyDelete