"All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

Psalm 139:16


Saturday, September 18, 2010

Homeschooling Update

Well, we've been busy at work doing kindergarten at home for a month now. I can't believe it's gone so quickly! We've definitely had some ups and downs and I'm figuring out what works and what doesn't work, but overall I'd say we're doing very well! Most days, I thoroughly enjoy what we're doing and I'm completely confident that we're doing the right thing. Anyway, here are just a couple of pictures of what we're doing. Here's the first workbook of the reading curriculum I got for Daniel. We're supposed to focus on a letter (or 2) a week and do a couple of worksheets related to that letter. We've decided to ditch the workbook. Daniel hated it -- he knows all his letters, doesn't particularly like coloring and really dislikes the monotonous, uncreative workbook pages. So, for the time being, here's what we're doing...
After reading Ruth Beechick's great little book, A Home Start in Reading, I'm following her suggested activities for introducing short vowel sounds and combining them with consonants and just playing around with them to make real and nonsense words. We started simply with one vowel and 3 consonants, but we've made it through all of them now, and Daniel is doing very well with reading simple, 3-letter, short vowel words.

He (Calvin joins us sometimes) especially likes playing around with letters if I can somehow make our "work" a game. One thing I've done is to use the Candyland board game to challenge him to make words with a given set of letters -- if he's successful, he can move his player.
Here is what Daniel really likes to do! He bought a bow and arrow with money he earned from recycling and Scott got a couple bales of hay for him to use for a target. What fun!

1 comment: